BOR Discusses Tobacco-Free Policy
University System of Georgia
During its January meeting, the Board of Regents (BOR) began discussions regarding a proposed tobacco and smoke-free campus policy for all University System of Georgia institutions.
The BOR may vote on the policy, which would go into effect on July 1, at its next meeting on Feb. 11-12.
In other meeting news:
- The Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar and Joseph M. Petit Chair in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering were established.
- The Charles W. Brady Chair in the Scheller College of Business was established.
- The David Sloan Lewis Professorship in the School of Aerospace Engineering was established. The BOR approved Wassim Haddad’s appointment to this position.
- Berdinus Bras was appointed to the Brook Byers Professorship in the School of Mechanical Engineering.
- Marilyn Brown was appointed to the Brook Byers Professorship in the School of Public Policy.
- Elsa Reichmanis was appointed to the Brook Byers Professorship in the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
- Honorary Tech degrees for Muhtar Kent and Sue Van were approved.
- BNIM Architects and LP3 were selected to be the professional design firms for the Price Gilbert-Crosland Tower project.
- A resolution opposing a boycott of Israeli academic institutions was adopted.
- As part of the state’s Guaranteed Energy Savings Performance Contract Program, the BOR identified a $5.66 million project to improve energy efficiency of Tech’s central cooling plants. The project is proposed for formal action in spring 2015.
For more information, view the full meeting agenda here.